three/twelve



It's been a terribly rainy December. I love a rainy day as much as the next girl but damn, I'm dreaming of a white Christmas, fo' real.



Photo number three is actually two photos sandwiched together in the darkroom.

For about two years now, I've been taking various classes on and off at a college here in the city--mostly just for fun. Though I've been pursuing photography for much longer, I never thought of taking a photography class until last fall. It was probably a result of my own arrogance, honestly.

A good friend of mine once said, "What kind of tea would I or anyone else pour for you if your cup is full?" He was referring to something else but it applies to any situation in which one is to learn. I started that photography class with the attitude that there wasn't much for me to learn, I just wanted to be in a dark room again. That attitude got in my way all of the time. Sure, I did well in the class, that wasn't the issue. The issue was my inability to explore new realms of creativity.

The second semester of photography focused on more experimental methods and surrealism, my weaknesses. I really struggled with these concepts throughout the semester but when I would allow myself to let go of my perceived photographic knowledge, true experimentation could happen.

I realize this photo isn't groundbreaking or even particularly creative, but it's a small example of the work I was able to accomplish that semester through methods I had never been exposed to before. As my home studio gets closer and closer to completion, I'm looking forward to expanding on this new knowledge within the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment